Senior Prom 2017
June 10, 2017
6:30 PM - 11:00 PM
To Parents/Guardians and Students:
We can all sense the excitement that comes with the Senior Prom for the Class of 2017. A great deal of time, planning, and commitment have gone into making this gala occasion at the Aqua Turf a safe and funfilled event. Please read this letter carefully and support the outstanding efforts of the Senior Class officers and their advisors.
The safety and welfare of all participants attending the Senior Prom are of utmost importance. Parents/Guardians and students should be aware that this event is chaperoned by DHHS faculty, staff, school security, administration, and a Southington police officer. The following specific rules and guidelines will be strictly enforced:
- Any non-DHHS guests should have furnished their name, home address, a parent/guardian telephone number, and email address prior to the close of school on Monday, May 15th.
- The prom begins at 6:30 p.m. with dinner served at 7:30 p.m. All participants are expected to arrive at the prom by 7:00 p.m. No one will be admitted after 7:30 p.m.
- Anyone arriving under the influence or in possession of drugs or alcohol will not be allowed to attend the prom. Parents/guardians and the police will be called and the school policy on drug and alcohol use and/or possession will be enforced (Please refer to the Code of Conduct for additional information.) The breath alcohol tester will be considered for use in the event that there is reasonable suspicion that a student has consumed anything containing alcohol. Use of the breath alcohol tester will follow guidelines as stated in Board of Education Policy #5090.7. If suspended, a student will not be allowed to participate in school activities during the duration of the suspension, including special senior activities.
- If it is reported that there is any behavior suspected to be related to drug and/or alcohol possession or use by students, all students transported in the same vehicle as those students will also be asked to submit to a breath alcohol test and/or a search of their possessions by the administration. Students who are determined not to have been in violation of the school policy on drug and alcohol possession or use will be allowed to attend the prom. Their parents/guardians will be notified that there has been a problem, and in the event that the driver refuses or is incapable of driving the student(s) home, it will be expected that the parents/guardians will provide such transportation. Any students found to be under the influence or in possession of drugs or alcohol will incur consequences as stated in the Code of Conduct, will not be allowed to attend the prom, and their parents/guardians will be required to pick them up.
- If a student leaves the prom for any reason, he/she will not be permitted to return. Parents/Guardians will be called if students leave the prom prior to 10:00 p.m. The prom ends promptly at 11 :00 p.m.
There is not a sanctioned after prom party sponsored by Daniel Hand High School.
Anthony R. Salutari, Jr.
Prom Do's and Don'ts for Parents/Guardians
(Developed by parents/guardians/students/administrators)
DO contact the parents/guardians of your son's or daughter's guest to review the plans for the evening.
DO establish reasonable curfews. Nowhere is it written that prom goers must stay out all night.
DO invite prom goers to your home before and after the prom.
DO be sure, if using a limousine, that the company is registered by the Connecticut State Department of Transportation.
DO make yourself available by phone that evening.
DON'T allow drinking/drug use of any kind at any time.
DON'T rent hotel rooms for prom parties.
DON'T hesitate to call the school or fellow parents/guardians with questions or concerns.