As an outstanding educational community, the mission of Island Avenue School is to foster the development of responsible citizens, who are knowledgeable, creative, critical thinkers, and effective communicators in a global, ever-changing world. We accomplish this through a safe and challenging learning environment, in partnership with families and the community. We celebrate the pursuit of life-long learning and are committed to each student achieving his or her personal best.
- All students appreciate that learning is a life long process.
- All children acquire and master a basic core of knowledge and to develop creative and critical thinking skills.
- We value each student as an individual with unique needs and strengths.
- Students exhibit virtues and values that can be demonstrated through social responsibility in all aspects of daily life.
- Teachers, staff, administrators, parents and students work collaboratively in the decision making process and identify ways to support each child’s learning needs.
- The school community values social responsibility and respect for diversity and multiculturalism.
- Students become responsible decision makers.
- Teachers seek interdisciplinary approaches.
- The school community regularly communicates with parents about their children.