**AP Studio Art Drawing requires at least three consecutive courses in this strand.
MAJOR GOALS OF THE ART PROGRAM
To help students:
- Think divergently and become adept at idea generation.
- Use creative problem-solving skills and techniques.
- Critically analyze and interpret visual images using written and oral expression.
- Communicate by using visual images to create an intended impact.
- Identify and assess the quality of works of art with a sophisticated understanding of the elements and principles of artistic expression.
- Develop awareness of our cultural heritage and the heritage of others.
- Create with artistic vision by synthesizing skills and concepts.
- Develop awareness of the unique relationship between art and technology.
- Value the relationship between art and the environment.
- Develop skill in and appreciation of fine craftsmanship.
In planning a program in Art, students should note the following and self-advocate to schedule the necessary elective offerings to achieve their goals:
Students wishing to pursue careers in applied and visual arts such as: film, photography, architecture, fashion merchandising, interior, industrial, entertainment, and graphic design are strongly encouraged to enroll in Drawing and Drawing Studio in order to build the necessary skills and portfolios needed for college.
The Drawing and Painting strand, including AP Studio Art Drawing, is highly recommended for students wishing to attend an Art program, college, or university after graduation.
DHHS requires 1.0 credits of Music, Theater or Art for graduation.
Art Department Philosophy
"Art is not a thing, it is a way." - Elbert Hubbard
Art is essential. The Art Department in Madison encourages and cultivates a unique sense of creativity in every student. Offering a wide variety of curricular pathways and experiences, each student can access their desired materials and methods while also developing a breadth of creative and technical skills from the traditional to the digital and commercial. We seek to create confident and curious minds prepared to craft the future of their dreams with passionate, fearless originality.
Delivery/Method / Values
Our growth-based approach ensures that each student is met at their skill level and receives personalized and specific feedback to help them develop as artists. We encourage risk-taking in a safe environment. Students are exposed to a wide range of artistic methods and materials so that every student can personalize their success in the arts.
With an emphasis on process, investigation, and reflection along with the elements and principles of design, we seek to endow every student with the tools to pursue, apply, and appreciate excellence in the visual arts as an integral part of their personal and professional journey. The creative thinking developed in the arts: holistic problem solving, empathy, pattern reading, and visualization of complex ideas, coupled with those formed in the core educational curriculum, is what will prepare our students to meet the emerging challenges of the future.