|Grade||Level 1||Level 2|
DHHS requires 3.0 credits of Social Studies for graduation.
The placement of courses in this chart is what is typical. See the flow chart at the end of the social studies section to see all of the options.
In the Social Studies Department, Levels 1 and 2 are defined as follows:
- Level 1
- courses are for those students who have exhibited exceptional skills in history and English, particularly in the areas of composition, historical analysis, and critical thinking and who meet the criteria established by the Social Studies Department.
- Level 2
- courses are for those students who are prepared to pursue a rigorous social studies program.
- The Social Studies Department recommends that students take U.S. History as well as Civics & American Government in their junior year.
- The Social Studies Department strongly recommends that all students take a social studies course during their senior year.
Social Studies Course: Grade Nine
Social Studies Course Options: Grades Ten, Eleven, And Twelve
- African American/Black and Puerto Rican/Latino Studies
- Civics and American Government
- Introduction to Human Behavior
- Modern Middle East
- Sports and American Culture
- World Traveler
African American/Black and Puerto Rican/Latino Studies
Civics and American Government
Introduction to Human Behavior
Modern Middle East
Sports and American Culture
Social Studies Courses: Grade Eleven
All students are required to take either United States History or AP U.S. History.