Student Council has been working to ensure that Homecoming 2023, scheduled on Saturday, October 21, 2023, will be a special event to be enjoyed by all those in attendance. This will be a well-planned affair with beautiful decorations and popular music. All students at Daniel Hand High School are invited and encouraged to attend this event. Please contact an administrator if you have any questions about Homecoming.
The goal of the Student Council and school administration is to ensure that we have a safe and healthy environment at Homecoming for all in attendance. This memo is meant to provide clarification and reminders to students and parents/guardians of some important school regulations regarding this occasion. The regulations are detailed below:
- The Student Council has established this as a semiformal dance. Please demonstrate your support of their hard work to provide this event for the student body by respecting the semiformal dress expectations.
- The hours of the dance are 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. No one will be admitted after 7:30 p.m. Once students leave the dance, they will not be permitted to return. Parents/guardians will be contacted for any students who attempt to leave the dance prior to 9:00 p.m.
- Tickets will only be sold online using the Infinite Campus platform. You can find the option to purchase tickets under the “Fees” dropdown menu.
- Tickets will cost $20.00.
- All proceeds from Homecoming will be donated to the Arthur C. Luf Children’s Burn Camp located in Union, CT.
- For weekend events, students must be present in school on Friday for a minimum of four hours in order to be eligible to participate in any athletic or other school activity.
- Students who are driving are required to park in the back-parking lot and will enter the building through the rear west entrance (Tiger Door).
- Students being driven to Homecoming should be dropped off under the bridge and should enter the West Building under the bridge.
- All students that are driven to Homecoming should be picked up in the back-parking lot (Tiger Door) promptly at 10:00 p.m.
- School rules and regulations apply at all school events. Consequences for violating school rules in any activity related to Homecoming will be strictly enforced.
- For safety and security reasons no backpacks or overnight bags will be permitted.
- School Security Personnel as well as School Administration will supervise the outside grounds as well as the parking lot. This supervision can lead to searching the content of vehicles if reasonable suspicion exists.
- Anyone arriving under the influence and/or in possession of drugs or alcohol will not be allowed to attend this event. Parents/guardians and the police will be contacted and the school policy on drug and alcohol use and/or possession will be enforced (Please refer to the Code of Conduct for additional information.) The breath alcohol tester will be considered for use in the event that there is reasonable suspicion that a student has consumed anything containing alcohol. Use of the breath alcohol tester will follow guidelines as stated in Board of Education Policy #5090.7. If suspended, a student will not be allowed to participate in school activities during the duration of the suspension, including athletics and any other extra-curricular activities.
- If it is reported that there is any behavior suspected to be related to drug and/or alcohol possession or use by students, all students transported in the same vehicle as those students will also be asked to submit to a breath alcohol test and/or a search of their possessions by the administration. Students who are determined not to have been in violation of the school policy on drug and alcohol possession or use will be allowed to attend this event. Their parents/guardians will be notified of the situation, and in the event that the driver refuses or is incapable of driving the student(s) home, it will be expected that the parents/guardians will provide such transportation. Any students found to be under the influence or in possession of drugs or alcohol will incur consequences as stated in the Code of Conduct, will not be allowed to attend Homecoming, and their parents/guardians will be required to pick them up from the event.
- Moshing or other dancing that could cause intentional/unintentional harm or is considered inappropriate will not be permitted.
- Due to the great popularity of this event and the maximum capacity of our Dining and Assembly Hall, established by the Town Fire Marshall, attendance at the Homecoming is limited only to current Daniel Hand High School students.
- No guests from other schools are permitted. Only those people who purchase tickets in advance may attend. No ticket swapping is allowed.
We look forward to a safe night that will be remembered in the most positive way. Please do your part so everyone enjoys the Homecoming 2023.