The Student Council has worked to ensure that Homecoming 2019 on Saturday, October 26th will be a special event to be enjoyed by all those in attendance. This will be a well-planned occasion with beautiful decorations and popular music.
Our goal is to ensure that we have an environment at our dance that will be healthy and safe for all in attendance. This memo is meant to clarify and remind students and parents/guardians of some important school regulations regarding Homecoming. The regulations are detailed below:
- The Student Council has established this as a semiformal dance. Please demonstrate your support of their hard work to provide this event for the student body by respecting the semiformal dress expectations.
- The hours of the dance are 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. No one will be admitted after 7:30 p.m. Once students leave the dance, they will not be permitted to return. Parents/guardians will be contacted for any students who attempt to leave the dance prior to 9:00 p.m.
- Tickets will be sold online using the Infinite Campus platform. You can find the option to purchase tickets under the “Fees” dropdown menu.
- Tickets will cost $20.00 and will be sold on a first-come first-served basis until all tickets are sold. Tickets will not be sold on the day of the dance.
- All proceeds from the Homecoming dance will be donated to the Arthur C. Luf Children’s Burn Camp located in Milford, CT.
- For weekend events, students must be present in school on Friday for a minimum of four hours in order to be eligible to participate in any athletic or other school activity.
- Students who are driving are required to park in the back west parking lot and will enter the building through the rear west entrance (Tiger Door).
- Students being driven to Homecoming should be dropped off under the bridge and should enter the West Building under the bridge.
- All students should be picked up after the dance in the back parking lot promptly at 10:00 p.m.
- School rules and regulations apply at all school events. Consequences for violating school rules in any activity related to the Homecoming Dance will be strictly enforced.
- For safety and security reasons no backpacks or overnight bags will be permitted.
- Anyone arriving under the influence and/or in possession of drugs or alcohol will not be allowed to attend Homecoming. Parents/guardians and the police will be contacted and the school policy on drug and alcohol use and/or possession will be enforced (Please refer to the Code of Conduct for additional information.) The breath alcohol tester will be considered for use in the event that there is reasonable suspicion that a student has consumed anything containing alcohol. Use of the breath alcohol tester will follow guidelines as stated in Board of Education Policy #5090.7. If suspended, a student will not be allowed to participate in school activities during the duration of the suspension, including athletics and other extra-curricular activities.
- If it is reported that there is any behavior suspected to be related to drug and/or alcohol possession or use by students, all students transported in the same vehicle as those students will also be asked to submit to a breath alcohol test and/or a search of their possessions by the administration. Students who are determined not to have been in violation of the school policy on drug and alcohol possession or use will be allowed to attend Homecoming. Their parents/guardians will be notified that there has been an issue, and in the event that the driver refuses or is incapable of driving the student(s) home, it will be expected that the parents/guardians will provide such transportation. Any students found to be under the influence or in possession of drugs or alcohol will incur consequences as stated in the Code of Conduct, will not be allowed to attend Homecoming, and their parents/guardians will be required to pick them up.
- Moshing or other dancing that could cause intentional/unintentional harm or is considered inappropriate will not be permitted.
- Due to the great popularity of this event and the maximum capacity of our Dining and Assembly Hall, established by the Town Fire Marshall, attendance at Homecoming is limited only to current Daniel Hand High School students. No guests from other schools are permitted. Only those people who purchase tickets in advance may attend. No ticket swapping is allowed.
We look forward to a safe night that will be remembered in the most positive way. Please do your part so everyone enjoys Homecoming 2019.