Senior Prom 2021
June 5, 2021
6:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Only DHHS Class of 2021 students may attend.
There Is No School Sanctioned After Prom Party
To the Class of 2021 and Parents/Guardians:
Many exciting events occur during the spring months of senior year, even during a pandemic. One of the most exciting events is the Senior Prom for the Class of 2021. A great deal of time, planning, and commitment have gone into making this gala occasion at Anthony’s Oceanview located in New Haven, CT a safe and fun-filled event. Please read this letter carefully and support the outstanding efforts of the Senior Class and their advisors. Prom tickets are currently on sale through Wednesday, May 26th via the Infinite Campus parent portal. The cost is $115.00 per ticket. Students must purchase their own ticket through their Infinite Campus account.
The safety and welfare of all participants attending the Senior Prom are of utmost importance. Parents/Guardians and students should be aware that this event is chaperoned by DHHS faculty, staff, school security, administration, and a New Haven police officer. The following specific rules and guidelines will be strictly enforced:
- Only members of the Class of 2021 are invited to attend this event.
- Students planning to attend the prom must attend any scheduled assessments they are required to complete on Friday, June 4, 2021, in order to attend. “In school” applies to in-person or remote learning.
- Students absent from their required assessments on Friday, June 4, 2021 will not be allowed to attend.
- The prom begins at 6:00 p.m. with dinner served at 7:15 p.m. All participants are expected to arrive at the prom no later than 6:30 p.m. No one will be admitted after 6:30 p.m.
- In order to attend, students have three options based on their individual COVID circumstances. Please review these options carefully keeping in mind that COVID procedures are derived from CDC guidelines.
- Option #1: Present a negative PCR COVID test from a sample taken within 5 days of the event. For students providing a negative PCR test, the sample can be taken any time on May 31-June 4. Students can present evidence of a negative PCR COVID test to Nurse Lesnik during school hours (7:25 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.) on June 1, 2, 3, and 4. The communication must have a clearly labeled name, collection date, and result. I am pleased to share that Sema4, a health intelligence company, has been scheduled to offer on-site COVID-19 PCR testing, free of charge, for all interested members of the senior class. Testing will take place in the DHHS Gym immediately following the Class of 2021 assembly that is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 1, 2021. Click on the button below and complete the Consent and Authorization form. Students requiring Option #1 do not have to complete the testing with Sema4. We are offering this as a convenience to the senior class. Consent and Authorization Form
- Option #2: Provide Proof of Vaccination. Fully vaccinated students may furnish immunization records by mail, email, or in person to Nurse Lesnik during school hours (7:25 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.) on or before June 4. For this option, parents/guardians must bring the vaccine card to their student’s pediatrician and have their medical provider add the COVID vaccine to their official immunization record. This updated immunization record should then be sent to the Daniel Hand High School Health Office. The date of the 2nd dose (Moderna or Pfizer) or the 1st dose of Johnson & Johnson can occur no later than May 22nd in order for a student to be considered “fully vaccinated”.
- Option #3: Provide Proof of a Positive COVID test within the past 90 days. Students who have tested positive within the past 90 days (after March 8) are eligible to attend the senior prom without the required negative PCR COVID test. Students who fit this criterion should share this information by mail, email, or in person with Nurse Lesnik during school hours (7:25 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.) on or before June 4.
- Students who do not present a negative PCR COVID test, proof of vaccination, or proof of positive test results during school hours will need to present this information to an administrator at the event in order to gain access to the prom.
- IMPORTANT: If a student does not submit a negative test, proof of vaccination, or proof of a positive test result within 90 days, they will not be allowed to attend this event.
- If a student or school community member tests positive or is considered a close contact within 10 days of the prom, they will not be allowed to attend the event due to the requirement to quarantine. (Fully vaccinated students would not be required to quarantine if they were asymptomatic.)
- Masks are required and must be worn when indoors at this event. Masks can only be removed while eating or when outside.
- Anyone arriving under the influence or in possession of drugs or alcohol will not be allowed to attend the prom. Parents/guardians and the police will be contacted and the school policy on drug and alcohol use and/or possession will be enforced. Refer to the Code of Conduct for additional information. The breath alcohol tester will be considered for use in the event that there is reasonable suspicion that a student has consumed anything containing alcohol. Use of the breath alcohol tester will follow guidelines as stated in Board of Education Policy #5090.7.
- If a student leaves the prom for any reason, they will not be permitted to return.
- Students may leave the prom at 9:30 p.m.
- Parents/Guardians will be called if students request to leave the prom prior to 9:30 p.m. The prom ends promptly at 10:00 p.m.
- There is not a sanctioned after prom party sponsored by Daniel Hand High School.
- Due to the requirement to pay Anthony’s Oceanview a week in advance, no refunds will be issued to students after Friday, May 28, 2021, including if a student cannot attend due to quarantine or for other reasons.
Making this a positive and memorable event is only possible when we have the Daniel Hand High School community of parents/guardians, students, faculty, and staff working together in a positive and supportive manner. I thank you in advance for your support and cooperation.
Anthony R. Salutari, Jr.
P.S. Please read the suggested Do’s and Don’ts for Parents/Guardians.
(Developed by parents/guardians/students/administrators)
DO contact the parents/guardians of your child's guest to review the plans for the evening.
DO establish reasonable curfews. Nowhere is it written that prom goers must stay out all night.
DO invite prom goers to your home before and after the prom.
DO be sure, if using a limousine, that the company is registered by the Connecticut State Department of Transportation.
DO make yourself available by phone that evening.
DON'T allow drinking/drug use of any kind at any time.
DON'T rent hotel rooms for prom parties.
DON'T hesitate to call the school or fellow parents/guardians with questions or concerns.
The Senior Prom
Dear Class of 2021,
We are excited to announce that we will be holding the Senior Prom on Saturday, June 5, 2021. This event will take place at Anthony's Ocean View in New Haven, CT, beginning at 6:00 p.m. and ending at 10:00 p.m. Due to the unusual circumstances of the global pandemic, there are several adjustments for this event:
Only DHHS Class of 2021 students may attend.
Students should arrive at 6:00 p.m. and will be checked in by a class advisor or school administrator.
- No students will be admitted after 6:30 p.m.
- Students may leave after 9:30 p.m.
In the event that a student cannot attend for any reason (including quarantine) after purchasing a ticket, per the contract with Anthony's Oceanview, absolutely no refunds will be considered after Friday, May 28.
- If the prom is cancelled due to changing COVID metrics, it is possible that refunds will be issued.
Masks are required and must be worn when indoors at the event.
- Masks can only be removed while eating or when outdoors.
In order to attend, students have three options based on their individual COVID circumstances. The options include the following, presenting a negative PCR COVID test from a sample taken within 5 days of the event, providing proof of vaccination, or providing proof of a positive test within 90 days of the event. These COVID procedures are derived from CDC guidelines. More specific information about each of these options will be shared in an E-Notify that will be sent approximately one week prior to this special event.
Additional restrictions may be put in place if state regulations change.
Prom tickets will be on sale from Monday May 17th through Wednesday, May 26th via the Infinite Campus parent portal. E-checks are encouraged because there is a $0.35 fee for e-check payments versus a 4% fee for credit card transactions. The cost will be $115.00 per ticket. Unfortunately, the impact of the pandemic eliminated any efforts to fundraise, so the per ticket cost is higher in comparison to past senior proms. Students must purchase their own ticket through their Infinite Campus account. If you need financial assistance, please contact Mr. Salutari. If you need support with purchasing a ticket through Infinite Campus, you may contact Sue Evans by email or (203) 245-6350.
Prom will be held inside at Anthony's Oceanview with an outside component (weather permitting). For planning purposes, there will be open seating at the Senior Prom.
Dinner will be buffet style including: half hour of cold hors d' oeuvres including assorted cheese & crackers, bruschetta, pizzas & home style specialty breads, salad station including Caesar salad, mixed green salad with fresh berries, fresh fruit cocktail, home style potato salad, tuna salad, specialty pasta salad, caprese with fresh mozzarella and cherry tomatoes, main entree' station to include penne ala vodka, ravioli with fresh tomato sauce, bow tie pasta primavera, fried shrimp, sliced filet mignon, chicken milanese over rice pilaf, potatoes au gratin, fresh broccoli florets with cheddar cheese, gourmet cupcake & gelato station, unlimited soda & juice.
We are thrilled to be able to offer a Senior Prom to the Class of 2021. We ask that everyone continue to follow social distancing and mask expectations so that this event can be successful.
The 2021 Class Council