Early Admission to Kindergarten Fall 2024
To Parents and Guardians of Incoming Kindergarten Students:
In June 2023, the Connecticut General Assembly voted to raise the minimum age for automatic entry into public school in Connecticut. Effective July 2024, Section 1 of Public Act 23-208 states that children will need to turn five on or before September 1 of the school year in order to be automatically eligible to enroll in school.
The legislation does allow a level of flexibility: a school district may admit a child who has not turned five by September 1 of the school year if the parent makes a request in writing and the school district conducts an assessment. Admission to kindergarten would be determined by the child’s performance on the developmentally appropriate assessment.
For Madison students who will not turn five until after the September 1 cutoff, the District will use this flexibility to consider students who will turn 5 between September 2 and December 31, 2024. To be considered for admission, families must fill out the following application and have their student complete an in-person kindergarten readiness assessment. The Madison Readiness Assessment is developed from the CT Kindergarten Entrance Inventory (KEI) and will assess if the student adequately demonstrates the most important skills needed at the beginning of kindergarten including:
- Language Skills
- Literacy Skills
- Numeracy Skills
- Physical/Motor Skills
- Creative/ Aesthetic Skills
- Personal/Social Skills.
There will be two assessment sessions for students who would like to be considered for Kindergarten. The January assessments will take place at Jeffrey Elementary School, 331 Copse Road and the April assessments will take place at Ryerson Elementary School, 982 Durham Road.
- Application submission by January 15, 2024
- January 30, 2024 all applicants report to Jeffrey School at 9:00 AM for the Madison Readiness Assessment.
- Notifications will go home the second week of February with the district determination.
- Application submission by March 18, 2024
- April 4, 2024 all applicants report to Ryerson School at 9:00 AM for the Madison Readiness Assessment.
- Notifications will go home the second week of April with the district determination.